Skate with Buttery Parsley and Capers
Skate is a little known fish in New Zealand but very popular in France. This simple recipe gives a great value meal.
Serves 4 Ready in 15 min
1. Tip the flour onto a large plate or dish and season with salt and pepper. Dredge the fish in the flour until completely coated.
2. Place a large frying pan over a high heat and add half the butter. When the butter is sizzling, lay the fish into the pan and cook for 4-5 mins on each side until golden, then transfer the fish to two plates and keep warm.
3. Working quickly, place the pan back on the heat with the remaining butter.
4. When it’s starting to foam and turn light brown, throw in the capers, then the parsley and sizzle for a moment. Squeeze in the lemon half and simmer everything for a moment longer.
5. Season the buttery sauce in the pan with a touch of salt and pepper, then spoon half over each portion of fish.
6. Serve with mashed potatoes and steamed spinach, and lemon wedges for squeezing over.